It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: CAV vs CLV motor noise level.
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 21:14 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi. Recently I bought my first CAV discs and I'm kinda disappointed and confused. I heard that due to the constant rotation speed CAV discs should produce less noise during playback, but in my case it's completely opposite. All of my CLV discs are nearly silent on my CLD-D925. But when I put a bunch of new (all of them were factory sealed and 100% without laser rot or deformations) my player became louder than my vacuum cleaner. Did I misunderstand something or there's a problem with my player?

Post subject: Re: CAV vs CLV motor noise level.
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2020, 22:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

They are noisier.

Even the slightest warp on a CAV disc can make them really quite loud, so much so that there are a couple or three CAV LDs that I have that I am unlikely to spin-up in my 925 player again though the 1010 player I have is not as badly affected but still louder spinning CAV discs than CLVs.

My son once commented when I was playing a CAV disc in the 925 that it sounded like a helicopter taking off.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 00:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wow never had it that loud, yes LDs are larger and louder but shouldn't be that loud.
Can you post videos of what your issues are.

EDIT:
Helicopter sound, I've never had it that loud.
Wonder if the spindle is going bad?

Last edited by rein-o on 01 Aug 2020, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 11:00 
True fan
True fan

Clv discs start at 1800rpm and slow down to 600rpm toward the end of the disc. Cav discs spin at a constant 1800rpm from beginning to end so yes they are louder.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 11:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

odotb3 wrote:
Clv discs start at 1800rpm and slow down to 600rpm toward the end of the disc. Cav discs spin at a constant 1800rpm from beginning to end so yes they are louder.

OBOTb3 does that explain why my eyeballs notice a image improvement halfway through a CAV disc over a CLV disc? :problem:
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2020, 11:58 
True fan
True fan

jakeheke wrote:
odotb3 wrote:

OBOTb3 does that explain why my eyeballs notice a image improvement halfway through a CAV disc over a CLV disc? :problem:

I cant say that its something I've noticed but it could be. Its actually quite fascinating on a technical level. A Clv disc starts to slow down its rotation as the disc plays from beginning to end. This is done to achieve 60 minutes of play. The way the laser has to then adjust itself to track a disc that is gradually slowing down means it has to work harder than when playing a Cav. Maybe an alignment issue in the player is amplifying the minute laser adjusments making it more noticeable on screen? I dont know, lol.

I try to avoid watching the Cav releases. I need to change the grip ring on my X9 as it very rarely refuses to flip the disc. I dont want to stress it by playing Cav's. For example, the Aliens Cav boxest is 3 discs, which is 6 sides, which is 3 auto-flips. I wish these players had a side turn defeat.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 09:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

odotb3 wrote:
I wish these players had a side turn defeat.

They do.
You press "A" on the remote to start the playback, and then it simply never attempts a side turn.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 11:56 
True fan
True fan

lons_vex wrote:
odotb3 wrote:
I wish these players had a side turn defeat.

They do.
You press "A" on the remote to start the playback, and then it simply never attempts a side turn.

Seriously? Thats amazing, I never knew that. Will test it out the next time I watch an LD. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 16:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
Wow never had it that loud, yes LDs are larger and louder but shouldn't be that loud.

EDIT:
Helicopter sound, I've never had it that loud.
Wonder if the spindle is going bad?

I really hope it is not rein-o as it is only a very few CAV discs where they are a little louder, always have been that way since I got them 10 to 15 years ago. The discs did the same thing in a CLD-515 & a 919 I used to have, so 4 different players all displaying the same sounds & slight volume increase. There are a couple of discs that are very loud indeed but I am not likely to be spinning them anytime soon if ever again just in case they are doing anything to the players.

The helicopter sound was more the different tone/pitch rather than the volume of a helicopter on song though it is definitely a tad louder.

Do I avoid my CAV discs..... going to become a bit paranoid now!?!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 16:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Maybe the noise is not as bad as I can imagine it is.

I've had issues with a few discs in the past knowing that they were making the player louder but can't remember to even test
those discs again.

One other issue I have from my 503 is that the disc will speed up faster at the end of play due to slippage or something else I can't remember
reading about now.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 17:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The noise level of a CAV disc is the same as the beginning of a CLV disc. The CLV disc will start to slow down almost instantly and the CAV one spins the same speed until the side is over.

LD players were made in the days of Owners Manuals and they all contain this info. Also being able to cancel a side change, also in the owners manual.

CAV is always louder on all players, but the cheaper the player and the more worn out it is the more it will rattle. An S201 with 10,000 hours on it will almost lose its screws getting through a CAV copy of Fantasia but an X-0 is almost noiseless playing the same disc. Part of “analog” is that stuff wears out. Another part of analog is that good stuff and bad stuff both exist and the good stuff is massively more expensive. That’s a huge part of why they stopped doing it that way.

There is no intended picture quality difference between the two formats however if your player has issues CAV discs may player better. The actual picture information is identical.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 19:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just a thought but I could imagine how the player is mounted would have an effect on this issue as for example, surely placing it on a glass shelved equipment table may make it ring/resonate in harmony, likewise a not so solid wooden cabinet could amplify the the motor noise if the construction quality is not up to the job?
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2020, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
LD players were made in the days of Owners Manuals and they all contain this info. Also being able to cancel a side change, also in the owners manual.

X9 manual is in Japanese. :P

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 19:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
?

That's strange, but after a couple of days (I don't use LD player frequently) these discs sounds not that bad. A little bit louder than the beggining of a CLV LD, but not "helicopter" anymore. Maybe there's something with mechanics which's need my attention?

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2020, 23:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

What would help to reduce some of the spinning noise on CAV discs would be to put the player in a cabinet that has glass doors you can close. I’ve had my 3030 in a TV cabinet for years and the CAV noise has always been minimal. Of course, this player is also so weighed down that the noise is never as bad as a low cost lighter player.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 02:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, the 3030 is at like double the weight of the typical 90s deck. My LD-W1 is the quietest player I’ve ever owned, I think that’s similar to the 3030 in some ways.

CAV’s intense rattle is literally identical to CLV’s rattle at the beginning of a side. However when it comes to vibration and noise there are many many factors. A warmed up player is quieter. The disc sits in a different place on the spindle every time. Every disc is different. The temp of the DISC will also affect rattle. The shelf you put it on, the floor it sits on, what other stuff is on that shelf. Etc etc etc. Try some cheap ebay rubber isolator feet and a very very solid shelf.

With some mild science one could figure out which freqs to dial out of your furniture, add mass here and there to move the resonance up or down out of whatever order of LD RPM they are at.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]