It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:06

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What Laserdiscs do you want but are too expensive?
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

What would you really like for your collection but are just too pricey to pull the trigger on?

For me there are a few:

The Matrix: Would be fun to have this on LD. Just sold for $195 on ebay; no way i could do this when good DVD copy is like $5

Sleepy Hollow: A favorite halloween flick of mine and late release. In the hundreds also. No way.

Bringing Out The Dead: It was the last laserdisc movie, we get it. Would be fun to have but unless i get it in a lot someday...

Caddyshack widescreen: People want too much for this version; but would love to have it someday

Star Wars movies: Why these are made of gold i do not know; you can get the molested version box sets on the cheap luckily

What about you? What has price kept you from buying over the years? :)

Post subject: Re: What Laserdiscs do you want but are too expensive?
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My problem is more so availability. A lot of the stuff I would love to have is anime that is probably sitting in a junk shop in Japan.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 22:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Aside from Kronolog all my holy grails are also the holy grails of at least four other members here so I’m not even going to name the stuff. I don’t need it to be harder to find! :)

EDIT: Oh, and since you menationed it, I’d like to have all the Max LDs. I only have the movie. I do have the DVD box which is the only complete version of the series but...bah, DVD.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 23:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

There are a few & most of them are the F1 LDs but they are not really so called "high value" discs.

It has taken around 15 years or so but I have managed to pick up all (I think) of the PIONEER compilation box sets & most of the individual discs they released but there are quite a few gaps still to fill.

They are for sale but at ridiculous prices & some sellers on ebay have had them listed for years, over 10 years in a few sellers listings. I have occasionally asked if they would accept (in my opinion) more realistic prices but the usual response that they are "VERY RARE" & the like with me being told that they "will sell" even though they have had listed for ages.

I will wait until they come up at more fair prices, patience often pays off & I am quite happy to play the waiting game - that is the way I have picked up most of my must have LDs.

I do get the comment from zeta about not wanting to state the must have titles, supply & demand & all that.

One response I once had from a seller on one of the F1 LDs I was after was that it was a "super rare disc as it was not listed on the LDDB site" so it must be worth his asking price - I have since acquired it & the seller has his still listed for sale. I have updated the site here so perhaps not "super rare" now!

Good luck with the LD hunt guys :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can't agree more with gypsy and zeta, I don't want to say so others can find them.

The stuff I'm looking for was only selling on YJ for 30-40 and I was either outbid or they went higher than I wanted to pay.

I feel like this was my last run for Japanese LDs, Covid-LD haul.

I'll give one, Diacon, there is a copy poorly listed now for 500 but I just can't do it, I would want to keep it and its not worth
the risk now.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Twin Peaks: Visual Soundtrack comes first to mind. Really wish I'd bought it when it popped up on ebay with like an 80 dollar BIN price.

That Japanese disc of A Wizard of Speed & Time. The digital re-release of Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann. Star Wars making of discs. Those are the only ones that really come to mind.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Speaking of Mike the Wizard, the OST was released recently (green wax, duh) and they wrapped the thing up like a XMas present before sending it to me. I was quite impressed. It goes will with both JP LDs (12” and 8”) on my shelf.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 16:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm just bummed that the 8" bonus disc (or was it 5½"? I forget) includes the movie version of the short and not the '70s original. But at least that means I don't have to worry about missing out on it.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 17:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I love so much some of the common sense shown here.

Of course if this was some FB group a few thoughtless people would (and probably already did) reveal their wants to a tonne of idiots who never heard of it before, but now will be competing with them.....

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 20:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

at the moment everything with shipping is too expensive. And they break easier than other things in the mail so at the moment its not worth the risk.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 23:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Star Wars box sets in mint condition, Japanese releases in particular, and any other individual SW release variants I don't have (some would be cheap but I'm talking about the total cost of everything).

Even with things not being how they are at the moment I don't know if I'll ever be able to own every release, VHD and some other formats would be cool too (also, some 35mm prints would be awesome but I think I'd have to sell the house for a decent set).

:(

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2020, 23:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
at the moment everything with shipping is too expensive. And they break easier than other things in the mail so at the moment its not worth the risk.

This is the biggest issue for me with American releases in particular. The digital re-release of Timerider isn't too expensive, last I saw it was about 40 bucks, but add like 30~ bucks on top of that and suddenly it's a 70 dollar laserdisc and I don't want it that badly.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 01:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Why is Timerider so expensive?? What's special about that film?? I think I tried to watch it once on netflix years ago and made it half way.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 03:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Why is Timerider so expensive?? What's special about that film?? I think I tried to watch it once on netflix years ago and made it half way.

I've never even seen it. I mostly just want it because I really like that cover art :mrgreen:

But I've no idea why it's so expensive. It's not like it's gone out of circulation, like The Keep.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 08:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My issue is mostly the same as gypsy said, availability.
But even then, if something I want is available to buy, it'll probably be just to expensive for me anyway.
Plus the shipping cost, wich always seems to make the total I pay to at least double. :(

I'm more interested in anime at the moment, especially boxsets,
and I'd like to own several ones like the Initial D ones or anything City Hunter for example.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 14:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've been searching for two of the japanese "Millennium" TV series box sets that are still missing in my collection for years now. They never were easy to find outside of Japan but these days prices for one of those are somewhat insane. Just like that "Max Headroom: The Original Story" US disc that just won't show up anywhere - will I ever manage to get my hands on one?

Or old Motorhead LDs, too. Still looking for a copy of "Deaf Not Blind" that won't cost me an arm and a leg...

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 14:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
I've been searching for two of the japanese "Millennium" TV series box sets that are still missing in my collection for years now. They never were easy to find outside of Japan but these days prices for one of those are somewhat insane. Just like that "Max Headroom: The Original Story" US disc that just won't show up anywhere - will I ever manage to get my hands on one?

Or old Motorhead LDs, too. Still looking for a copy of "Deaf Not Blind" that won't cost me an arm and a leg...

There was a local guy that had some Millennium stuff (pretty sure it was Japanese as most of his LD's are) like last year but I'm not sure if he sold it or was keeping it.
He has always had pretty reasonable prices on what he sells, not necessarily dirt cheap all the time but I have got some nice titles dirt cheap off him (actually sourced most of what I have from him without spending much). Because he's local shipping was cheap, plus he had a replacement policy for discs damaged during transit (don't know if he still does that, or if it covered international sales either).

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 14:56 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You got any contact information, perhaps? I would of course love to get my hands on at least one of those two missing boxes...

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 16:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
You got any contact information, perhaps? I would of course love to get my hands on at least one of those two missing boxes...

Well you've been here a lot longer than me so I'll PM you kamerád ;)
Bear in mind he's in Australia like me and even if he does have what you're after it probably isn't the best time to be sending stuff like that to the other side of the world.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2020, 20:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

saeba wrote:
My issue is mostly the same as gypsy said, availability.
But even then, if something I want is available to buy, it'll probably be just to expensive for me anyway.
Plus the shipping cost, wich always seems to make the total I pay to at least double. :(

I'm more interested in anime at the moment, especially boxsets,
and I'd like to own several ones like the Initial D ones or anything City Hunter for example.

Yeah the sets I have, shipping was much more than the actual item cost. Especially when you factor in you have to ship things twice if it's on an auction site. Mandarake you are just shipping once.

So this makes it very hard for me to justify most box sets. I don't love the City Hunter BDs (Gundam BDs are excellent however) but either way with those blu rays I'm looking at usually $40-ish a set pre-ordering. Even if I pay $10 for an LD box set I'm looking at buyees fees, shipping to buyee then shipping to me and most likely protective packaging. By the time it's said and done, it's easily at least $80 if not more. That's if you win the item for $10. My last excursion was $50 for winning bids across 4 auctions. $25 of fees, $37 domestic shipping and about $155 to ship it to me. Nothing will be $10 at Mandarake. Oh and on top of all this, I have to track down subtitles to watch.

So it usually takes a special case for me to go for the LD option.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next