It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Page 4 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 22:10 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well if you like it then OK.
I could never watch it, tried but its not my type of thing.
Well I'm glad you enjoy it, I'm sure I've posted stuff that nobody will enjoy but me HAHAHA

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2020, 23:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m always impressed with how broad the memberships interests are here.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 05:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think everyone here has vices Zeta
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 11:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - PAL black label (and therefore nice packaging :D )
NDS Lite (white) - boxed with insert, but missing charger and documentation (I have spares to make this CiB)
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines (PSP)
Commandos 2/Praetorians HD Remaster Double Pack (Xbox One)
Wolfenstein Youngblood Deluxe Edition (Xbox One)
*Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (Xbox One)
Destroy All Humans! (Xbox One) - remake of the original game
Lego Harry Potter Remastered Collection (Xbox One)
Aliens Versus Predator 2 (PC)
SWAT 3 Elite Edition (PC)
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl (PC) - disc is buggered but I have a good spare, this case has lenticular card attached to back
Mass Effect 3 (PC) - steelbook only (mint)

Some Girls - The Rolling Stones (CD) remastered
Music From Big Pink - The Band (CD) remastered
Princess Mononoke Original Soundtrack (CD) - Ponycanyon Korean distribution, but tracklist is in English

#The Three Caballeros (VCD) - either Taiwan or Hong Kong release, idk yet
Tales From Earthsea (DVD R4) - Studio Ghibli Collection
Pom Poko (DVD R4) - Studio Ghibli Collection

^
*Sekiro - I was surprised that this installed as GotY version, I bought a used standard edition
#The Three Caballeros - I rescued this before it hit the bin thankfully

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 15:40 
True fan
True fan

Got my little brother a Sega Saturn for Christmas ( is wrapped under a tree ) since he wanted one for some time now. It's a Japanese model. Replaced the coin cell battery, set the menu screen to English. It's all set. Just need to get an action replay cart to play games from all regions.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 16:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's awesome. Share the wealth of gaming. :thumbup:

Got these today. Some awesome Lomo Tri X triathlon sea swimming gloves. These are so hard to get, I was on a waiting list for months for them (since around August). They get them in stock and sell out in seconds, you have to be very quick to get them. Perfect for sub zero sea swimming. :thumbup:

Next is a limited edition blu of Johnny Mnmemdmemndjfkhsmfgfd. It's the German Turbine edition and is essentially the best version of Johnny Mnmnmndmsnfdksjfhdfm out there to date. You get two discs with basically every version of the film on them, including an SD (probably from Laserdisc) transfer of the 'Japanese Version'. There's also Atmos tracks and this odd Aura 3D track I'm keen to listen to. It's in a media book format similar to the two Deathstalker mediabooks I got recently. Germany seems to have all the best blu's!

Finally I got Watchmen Ultimate Cut 4K edition. Watchmen replaced Hulk (Ang Lee version) as a film I've tried to watch countless times but always fail a few minutes in. It took me numerous attempts over 7 years to finally watch the film. I think I ended up od'ing on caffeine to ensure I stayed awake long enough to finish the film. I must have bought it about 80 times over conning myself in to thinking if I bought it I'm invested to watch it. Hmm... Same with Watchmen. I've owned the Blu since 2009 and got rid of it not long back because I couldn't finish it. 11 years later and I still haven't seen it. Read the GN, bought the GN a couple of times in fact. Watched the animated version of the GN. Haven't watched the film past the opening credits sequence despite trying to for 11 years.

It's time to get it watched. Bring on the caffeine. :silent:

EDIT If you want the gloves they are already out of stock (within minutes of being added). All sizes. Get your name on the waiting list is the best advice. There's a reason these gloves sell out instantly.

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/triathlo ... ml#SID=156

Last edited by teddanson on 18 Dec 2020, 20:25, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 16:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Trying to watch the "Ultimate Cut" of Watchmen probably didn't help in attempts to get through it. Hopefully, the disc/set has the other versions as well, particularly the Director's Cut.

I love the film and think it's one of the best in the superhero/comics genre (regardless of the deviations from the source material) and definitely Snyder's best work to date... but the "Ultimate Cut" with the animated web-comic material interwoven kills the pace, doesn't add to the story (even in a tertiary manner), and is completely superfluous. I bought the "Ultimate Cut" in UHD as a Vudu promo for $5, not realizing what it was, and unfortunately, it didn't include access to any of the versions without the animated material. I do still have the Director's Cut on BD, and that version (in the best medium you have access to) is the one to watch.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 16:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I took the approach that if I'm going to do it, let's just go the whole way and get every last second of it watched in one sitting then I don't have to do it ever again. :lol:

The GN is superb. I just really struggled with the film, not sure why. If a film is absolute dross I tend to stick it out, but Watchmen and Ang Lee's version of Hulk are just massive hurdles.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 17:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I actually like both of those, I prefer the ultimate cut, feels more like the GN to me but then again I grew up while my brother was actually buying the comics
when new.

Ang Lee HULK, I was waiting so long for this and I really like it, better than the later marvel dregs.
These superhero characters need to be separate and not one giant cash grab.

OK FF sucks, but then again it always sucked.
Teen who can't get chicks without turning into fire, 30 something can't get chicks since he's a rock creature.
Old man marries teen girl and can never find her but they all save the world.......

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2020, 19:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ang Lee's Hulk didn't do much for me, but I can get through it on occasion.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 01:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
OK FF sucks, but then again it always sucked.

You watched the wrong version. The 1994 original is far superior. :thumbup:

Watched Johnny Mnemonic. Never saw it before. Had a blast, it was great fun. 100% mediocre, how I like films to be.

Forgot to add, the Turbine media book is limited to 500 copies. It's totally definitive and no other release worldwide, even the standard edition of the Turbine release, has as many versions or extras.

You get a German theatrical cut, a US theatrical, a US theatrical open matte and the Japanese uncut version all in one set. Both SD versions are high quality transfers. No burned in subtitles on the Japanese version either which kind of renders the Japan LD redundant?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 03:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've seen the 94 version, had it on VHS bootleg back in the day, I think that was worse than anything else.
Also watched DOOMED that was fun but these actors really thought they were the s**t.

A note of memory, I remember when Johnny mnenomcinitc came out and news casters were talking about it and had to explain how to pronounce it LOL.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 04:15 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jakeheke wrote:
I think everyone here has vices Zeta

That was a compliment. A forum with a broad set of interests is more well rounded than one where everyone just likes Game of Thrones or the Detroit Red Wings.

This is opposed to a forum who’s interests are mainly broad...as in low, dumb, whatever.

I’m extremely glad to be on a forum where even the ota scum have seen a good chunk of the Criterion Collection. Can I phrase it that way? And by ota scum I mean ME, just so we’re clear.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 14:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some stuff arrived. With added heartbreak tax.

I AM THE CANELONI! (I am also not available on DVD or better. I am also new and sealed.).

Blind buy. Love the Mollz though.

Spacewatch. Another blind buy but it looks super interesting. The disc is bilingual too. One to watch before going out Monday night to see the Christmas Star!

District 9 4K. Won this in a competition. Great film, saw it about 10 years ago so will be nice to revisit now.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 22:40 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

So far missing 2 books and some belts not sure if they are lost or what yet.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020, 00:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Mail is super crazy now, they can get votes but nothing after........
I'm still waiting for some anime DVDs, been a month now.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020, 00:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Same is happening here. I'm getting stuff in regularly because it's been in transit for weeks or months in some cases. Spoke to the postman yesterday about it, he said it's just crazy at the minute.

The lockdowns are turning everyone to shop online. Plus Brexit etc to deal with, it's very busy. We're going to tip the postman this year, he's worked his arse off in such unprecedented circumstances and on the front line too.

Incidentally, watched Buddy's Song and Spacewatch tonight. Both are excellent discs, very pleased with them. Gave Strike It Rich a quick spin too and it looks and sounds great.

Went for a sea swim just before sunset to test the new gloves. Almost zero degree water today (was about 2°c air temp), really strong winds and thus very high surf. Was a bit crazy to go out in it to be honest but the tide turned about 20 mins in. I got wiped out every third wave despite going under before each wave took me out to try and take the brunt of the constant crashing over me. Took about 35 mins to do 1000m when I'd usually do it in 18mins or so. Gloves worked great, they are the real deal. Buy with confidence if you're in to that sort of scene too. :thumbup:

Oh and by watching Spacewatch tonight I learned that Betelgeuse, a star in Orion's belt (the stars, not the car made by Ford), is pronounced Beetlejuice (true fact!). Laserdiscs give us so much yet ask so little! :angel:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 09:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Lego The Hobbit (Xbox One).

Fake SNES mini, which is actually a noac famiclone inside a US style snes mini shell...

821 games (haven't checked for dupes yet). Controllers use traditional 9 pin famiclone plugs/sockets (same as C64/Atari/Mega Drive but wiring is different).
This has a 720p upscaler built-in unlike some of the other dirt cheap fakes out there that just have a combined composite/audio jack (the box claims it's 1080p but it is just 720p, unless there's a hidden options menu I haven't found but it's very unlikely on a noac :crazy: ). I ended up getting this for less than $10aud, which is worth it for the 2x controllers and the upscaler alone imo (which actually doesn't look bad so far). The case seems sturdy enough and the psu is just a generic micro USB 5v. Came with HDMI cable too.

I've play a few random games on it, video output looks ok but I'm not sure about the audio yet. It could just be the noac as these are notorious for having screwed audio.
Controllers seem ok. I need to test them on my discrete famiclone but I'm fairly confident the wiring should be the same, I needed spare controllers for that.
I might actually set this up for the kids to play over Christmas :twisted:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2020, 22:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Another straggler today. Last one before Christmas I imagine.

Minneapolis's finest. :thumbup:

Gave the disc a quick spin, I don't like the DTSHD-MA track at all. The PCM stereo track is marginally better (make sure to force stereo and no Dolby processing).

It seems to suffer from the same problems the Van Halen Live Without A Net Laserdisc has. All the instruments seem to be crammed in to a small stage and they're all fighting each other for dominance.

If you set your receiver to Dolby Music then the stereo track sounds a LOT better with instruments better distributed across the sound stage. It's very bass heavy though so you may need to adjust your subwoofer.

Image quality is awesome though so it's a tough call to decide if the Laserdisc is worth getting. Can anyone confirm what the audio is like on the Laserdisc editions and which is best?

The purple case is awesome though, nice touch!

Side note, the DTSHD-MA track does sound great through a quality set of headphones. You can hear absolutely everything. The stereo track too. Both are still very bass heavy, even via headphones.

Oh and also the disc is vanilla. Very disappointing. Also, seems I'm not alone in concerns over the audio

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... 911&page=2

I never knew the gig was staged either and the audio is overdubbed. A strange cocktail but I can understand why it was done as the real night footage is very grainy. Also the crowd reactions look really staged.

Still, it's Prince. What's not to love about it? :thumbup:

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2020, 06:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

deadlegion wrote:
Fake SNES mini, which is actually a noac famiclone inside a US style snes mini shell...

In the same vein as this, I'm in the process of a Star Wars-themed low-profile wall-mounted MAME (and retro console emulation) cabinet build for my theater. The cabinet is in two parts, one housing the display/PC/power/soundbar/etc, and the other housing the controller. The first half is done and mounted, and work on the controller portion should commence tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have it complete by tomorrow night, but more likely sometime on Thursday. I split the cabinet into two pieces because it let me keep the lumber costs down, simplified the cuts (only a few non-right angles to give the controller some pitch), and should make transport easier if/when it needs to go somewhere else (probably in the attic with other discarded toys).

I started out with plans of just wall-mounting one of these from Microcenter (which includes a Pi 3B+, RetroPie preconfigured, and 140 licensed Atari ROMs) along with a spare 26" LCD right above it... but as is the case with so many projects I take on, scope creep set in and I'll end up with custom fabricated cabinet(s)/controller with 26" LCD / 28" Soundbar / Custom Vinyl Graphics / Google Home automation, i3-4120u/8Gb/128gb USFF Windows PC running EmulationStation + RetroArch as well as XBox One Stream, and matching Star Wars stool. The Pie could have done everything I wanted from an emulation standpoint, but I went the PC route because I found a USFF (similar to one of these) on FBM for $50 and wanted to do XBox One Stream for modern fighting games.

I'll post pictures when it's complete, hopefully tomorrow or Thursday (stool won't arrive until after Christmas).

Last edited by shopkins82 on 04 Jan 2021, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.

Page 4 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 37  Next