It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:56

Page 14 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tat you've bought to clutter your home with (Reprise)
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 12:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Mill Creek rules.

Larry Sanders is extremely referential to Johnny Carson’s show and the relationship between the host and the quisling. There is a lot of The Tonight Show on YouTube these days. I recommend going back and forth between the two to really get it.

Seinfeld entertained me from the beginning...but not much since. I’m quite sick of it and Jerry’s basically a jerk in the show and in real life so I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 12:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

teddanson wrote:
It's a mixed bag to be honest. It's basically 200 films hoovered up by Mill Creek and dumped on to the cheapest discs they could find as quickly and as cheaply as possible. I'd say quality control doesn't even appear in their company polices, standards or procedures. Buy IP in bulk and toss it out as cheaply as possible.

Thanks Ted, yeah i would love to watch a lot of these films but macroblocking would make it seem like a download to me and ruin my enjoyment.

Quote:
Again though it's not really the point when it comes to a set like this. Nobody else is going to do it in such vast quantities. More power to Mill Creek for keeping obscure work in print I say. Plus, some stuff is out there on the boutiques, so it's a nice little try before you buy step. You support Mill Creek putting out more box sets, more stuff gets kept in print. You upgrade to Blu or 4K and support the boutiques. It's a great value set I think.

Mill Creek for sitcoms I think. There's a lot of sets I want from them now even just to avoid the retarded large and colourful modern Aus rating markings that ruin boxart.

Quote:
Never took to Larry Sanders, but I'll maybe try it again some day. Similar to Seinfeld, I never bothered with it first time round. Somehow fell in to watching it about 10 years ago or so and ended up watching all 9 seasons of it. Love it now. Maybe Larry will get the same love some day?

I'd recommend It's Garry Shandling's Show first, it's really the Proto-Seinfeld and did a lot of innovative things. Don't think it was ever shown in Aus or I never saw it but I borrowed and ripped it from our public library a few years ago and that sent me on a quest to see Larry Sanders, which was on TV here but I never saw. I remember playing RPGs until the wee hours with my nerd friends and catching Sieinfeld circa 1992 in Aus at 1AM because no one thought it would be a hit. We thought it was cool.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 12:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Mill Creek rules.

Larry Sanders is extremely referential to Johnny Carson’s show and the relationship between the host and the quisling. There is a lot of The Tonight Show on YouTube these days. I recommend going back and forth between the two to really get it.

Yeah the format of LSS seems like it's setup to be dated. I never saw whole episodes of Johnny Carson on TTS, before my time and not sure if it was broadcast in Aus. But I grew up on CBS Letterman through the '90s, always at 1 or 2AM on channel 10 from its beginning here in Aus. I remember when a kid from Sydney who was hunting records or something in NYC, wound up in a sketch walking on the moon on Letterman. Think he answered a payphone somewhere. Who was Carson's sidekick? I still don't know. Googled it, Ed McMahon?? Had NFI...

Quote:
Seinfeld entertained me from the beginning...but not much since. I’m quite sick of it and Jerry’s basically a jerk in the show and in real life so I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

Fair 'nuff

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 12:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Filling some gaps:

Highlights include Xmas 2020 release Minako Honda box (filled out the remaining 4 albums I needed plus a blu ray with a lot of previously VHS only stuff, Yuki Saito box 1 and 2 (highly recommended, proper CD cases and detailed booklet with single and album release dates) and Shoujo Tai 3 disc collection (2017) Nice. Tomita Yuko box is extremely well done. 45 repro sleeves for each single, with plastic slipcase for each title. Then a mini LD (DVD) of her LD/VHS release. So excellent!

https://i.postimg.cc/p2D9d1VH/DSC-0005.jpg

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 01:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Got a Dell Trinitron monitor from a coworker! This is the first CRT display of any kind I've had since I was maybe 16 or so. Appears to be fine working order; now I'm just waiting on a no-lag HDMI to VGA converter and some speakers and I'll be back to gaming the way God intended.

I'm planning to use a RetroTINK-2X Pro to line-double old consoles for it, but since I'm waiting on the HDMI-to-VGA I tested it with a DVDO iScan Pro for line-doubling and SLG3000 scanline generator that I had sitting around from when I first noticed that you can't just plug a PS1 into an LCD TV and have it look like anything but junk. Pending some tweaking, I'm really happy with this scanline look, though I may just go with line-doubling when I can use the RetroTINK (the iScan Pro has some weird artifacts on 240p sources unless you mask them with black lines). But what I'm especially looking forward to is getting a computer hooked up to it so I can get some 320x200 DOS games looking right again.

(My cell phone camera doesn't well represent how the image actually looks, naturally, especially the scanlines. They are super clean, and with S-Video the text looks very pleasing.)

My word, this has been a damn good day. The icing on the cake is that I didn't pay Retro Gamer prices for a PVM/BVM; in fact it would have been free if my conscience hadn't demanded I pay my coworker at least something.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 13:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All my crt monitors aside from the ones I have from old prebuilts were like $5 or free. The best one I have was free on CL (Lacie Electron Blue IV).

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2021, 13:47 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I wish I keep my Sony but that was heavy and I couldn't move it when I was in rush from Texas back to KY that time. Its lucky I have any of my stuff left now if I can go and get my Criterions and a few other things I'll be happier for awhile longer until I get the rest.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 13:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Laserdisc equivalent of Knave, Razzle and Fiesta. Alas not published by Paul Raymond. :cry:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 14:30 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

His site was up for the longest time and you could get some great info on different versions.
I believe the one that I can remember or two now are Diehard and Planet of the Apes, the first fox widescreen he said were shifted but the later were
centered.

Always had great reviews on the discs and the format.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 15:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Had a quick flip through. It's put together really well. I've already spotted a couple of things to add to my wishlist!

The book is very similar to Spinegrinder, my favourite Bible, copies of which should be in every hotel room worldwide!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 17:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Bought a bunch of TCG holders for ring binders and boy these are really sh!t quality. One of them had half the holes ripped apart just from me trying to pull the darn things apart from each other! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 19:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

...Trading Card Game...maybe?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 19:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I got a binder and holders a while back that are superb quality. I will dig them out to find the brand name for you.

I had to get a special size pages for myfull set of baseball cards with mini vinyl records on them. Baseball pre-PED's, a fine sport!

Though the tale of Pete Rose climbing in the air ducts to fetch his confiscated corked bat is good too. And the legendary Dock Ellis pitching a perfect game while off his face on LSD is a belter too I guess!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 21:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

Yeah, trading cards. I bought a binder full of old Star Trek TNG cards waaaaaay back in the 90s and I've used the empty ones over the years but the space has finally ran out.

Unfortunately these new ones are too big for that ring binder as well so now I have to buy one of those, too!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 22:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I've shown the small Asuka plugsuit not the other 3
this will be it for awhile. I might in 2 or 3 weeks get my NERV box with the rest of them.

also bought a plastic 4 tier shelf

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 20:26 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

also got the last of my Ikea furniture today and put it together.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 21:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Yeah, trading cards. I bought a binder full of old Star Trek TNG cards waaaaaay back in the 90s and I've used the empty ones over the years but the space has finally ran out.

Unfortunately these new ones are too big for that ring binder as well so now I have to buy one of those, too!

They fit all kinds of cards so I wasn’t sure why you were specifying.

I was big into that game when it came out. About a year ago I bought a case of the main set (third printing, I think) for like $7.50 or something. It was a fun night of opening packs, quite a few once-valuable stuff now totally worthless. I think I have four Troi now...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 01:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
They fit all kinds of cards so I wasn’t sure why you were specifying.

I was big into that game when it came out. About a year ago I bought a case of the main set (third printing, I think) for like $7.50 or something. It was a fun night of opening packs, quite a few once-valuable stuff now totally worthless. I think I have four Troi now...

Nah, these aren't from the card game, these are just regular trading cards like you'd get from Skybox or Upper Deck. They have really truncated episode synopsis on the back with three cards per episode.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 13:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

got this KOTOBUKIYA HoiHoi-san 2-in-1 alternate colors set coming along sometime in April, to join the standard edition set i already have;

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 17:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not exactly tat but I got one of these today. I can finally go back to watching Laserdiscs in the evenings!......except it's Opening Day and the Mets are playing... LGM! :D

Page 14 of 37 [ 739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 37  Next