It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:03

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: What makes LaserDiscs special to me
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 04:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hey gang! Been visiting the forum for a while and now I've finally decided to step up and say "hello"!

I've owned LaserDiscs since buying my first LD player (my beloved CLD-1091) back in 1992. That was my first "big purchase" after landing my first big paying job in the field of project management and planning. Being an LD collector/enthusiast wasn't easy back then, as I lived in a small community in northern Ontario, Canada, where LDs were very hard to come by. The stereo store where I bought my CLD-1091 had a few discs for purchase, but the selection wasn't very good. I had to do most of my buying through mail-order (no Internet back then, either) from Toronto or the States. It was pretty pricey.

My first movie on LaserDisc was "Beverly Hills Cop II", which I bought along with my CLD-1091 from the stereo store. I watched that disc so many times, but I enjoyed it because it just looked and sounded so damn good!

One of the reasons I enjoy watching movies on LaserDisc is probably because I also grew up listening to and collecting music on vinyl LPs and 45s. There's just something that resonates with me concerning the whole hands on experience LaserDisc viewing involves. Just like listening to music on vinyl, it's more than just pressing play on a DVD player or watching a movie on-demand from streaming services. You have to handle an movie on LD with care and attention. You have to get up and flip or change discs every so often. It's an "experience" with it's own rituals and traditions. It's something special and out of the ordinary from today's modern world of "convenience". I'll always prefer my movies to be on LaserDiscs, just like I prefer my music to be on vinyl.

I'm not very particular when it comes to my selection of movies on LDs. What I mean is, I have my preferred titles, but I'm not too particular to the format I get them in. I prefer letterbox, but I have many pan-and-scan. It usually comes down to what is available and the price. To me, anything is better than having to settle for DVD or BluRay. I prefer movies on VHS over those two formats.

Post subject: Re: What makes LaserDiscs special to me
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 12:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice when people pop their heads above the parapet.

Enjoyed the intro & looking forward to any future posts.

Cheer :thumbup:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Laserdisc is the format where all the dodgy mid-90s action/horror/sci-fi/martial arts/any combination thereof movies really come to their own. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 16:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

je280 wrote:
Nice when people pop their heads above the parapet.

Enjoyed the intro & looking forward to any future posts.

Cheer :thumbup:

I'd be glad to contribute to the forum, but there's so many more knowledgeable people here than me that I'm not sure what more I could add. But you never know. :D

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 16:13 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takeshi666 wrote:
Laserdisc is the format where all the dodgy mid-90s action/horror/sci-fi/martial arts/any combination thereof movies really come to their own. :mrgreen:

Agreed!

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 16:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I got into LD at almost the same time you did. I had less money probably but I could buy US releases in my local mall so we were about even. I always wanted LD but what made me blow the $$$ was being an anime fan and realizing that US releases were were garbage that took forever to come out and import VHS is not only VHS but %50 again more expensive than the already ¥¥¥ LD versions. It had to be LD.

I still buy a movie I want to see on LD above any other format unless the LD is really expensive or if I think I’ll appreciate the HD. I basically skipped DVD. LD had an incredibly deep library for the years it existed so really there are still so many movies I have yet to see even now, not only anime but almost any genre. I’m mainly into indie films, silent, classic, European, etc as well as HK action, F1, and music. LD really is the best. I use it almost every day and have for many years.

The actual act of using a DVD or BR sort of drives me nuts. The...waiting for approval to use something I own...drives me nuts.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 17:32 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

signofzeta wrote:
I still buy a movie I want to see on LD above any other format unless the LD is really expensive or if I think I’ll appreciate the HD. I basically skipped DVD. LD had an incredibly deep library for the years it existed so really there are still so many movies I have yet to see even now, not only anime but almost any genre. I’m mainly into indie films, silent, classic, European, etc as well as HK action, F1, and music. LD really is the best. I use it almost every day and have for many years.

The actual act of using a DVD or BR sort of drives me nuts. The...waiting for approval to use something I own...drives me nuts.

I totally agree. I never bought into BluRays and have several DVDs, but they drive me nuts, too. Those interactive menus are so frustrating and the darn things will glitch and skip so frequently. Not my preferred medium.

As you've stated, there's so much content out there on LD and VHS that I haven't seen, there's lots of content out there to keep me occupied and entertained. The problem/challenge is getting them to me at an affordable price.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 14:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Davidb_sk,

Time in the UK is now 13:34 pm Monday 23rd of November.

Thank you for reaching out to all of us here, as it's always a pleasure to read from members here, as each unique experience is truly recognized.

After just reading your introduction and Shared Experiences, I for one can relate to how you feel about the LD Discs and Players 98%.

1% I also like the other disc formats however nothing can ever match the tangible quality and size of laserdisc.
1% I Can no longer return to VHS as a video medium however recording music on SVHS tape was preferred for me personally.

I need to spin a disc as it has been a while and for many reasons ''mostly to do with busy work schedule and various life trials''

David Please keep sharing with us here as we appreciate your time to write and convey.

Kindest Regards

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2020, 16:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Greeting, Benmbe. Thanks for your kind reply. Spinning up an LD after a hard day at work is a great way to relax. :D But yes, life does get in the way sometimes.

I have a lot of fond memories from my youth and I guess that's why I've held on to the old tech for so long. Along with my movies on VHS and LDs, and my music on LPs and compact cassette, I still use my good ol' Commodore 64 regularly, too. I'm fortunate to have a wife that also likes the old formats, so there's no compromising for either of us.

Back in 2014 we made a major change in our lifestyle, leaving the city for a small house (we built ourselves) in the middle of the Saskatchewan prairie. Unfortunately, we had to downsize quite a bit and sacrificed a very large collection of home recorded VHS tapes we both accumulated over the years. We just couldn't take it all with us. But, sometimes choices like that have to be made. The nice thing is, some of the rare content we recorded we have been able to find on LaserDiscs. So, the hunt goes on.

Take care over there, across the pond.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2021, 12:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have no LD player or LD discs, but I thought of buying several times. The one thing that kept me away was the price (in Sweden) when I was young and now it is the fact that I didn't join the train. But maybe I will start collecting it one day. I do like to read the conversations on this forum so the format intrigues me.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2021, 14:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

superemail wrote:
I have no LD player or LD discs, but I thought of buying several times. The one thing that kept me away was the price (in Sweden) when I was young and now it is the fact that I didn't join the train. But maybe I will start collecting it one day. I do like to read the conversations on this forum so the format intrigues me.

I've spotted some decent players for sale at tradera every now and then, they definitely seem to be easier to come by than in Finland so at least you've got that going on for you.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 03:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

"What makes LaserDiscs special to me"

Laserdisc's are still important, even in this day and age. It's also important to note, that Laserdisc audio just cannot be dethroned. A fan-editor myself, I tend to use Laserdisc audio due to its lossless compression. Thats what makes it so special. I still find use for it.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 15:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

starwars wrote:
Laserdisc's are still important, even in this day and age. It's also important to note, that Laserdisc audio just cannot be dethroned. A fan-editor myself, I tend to use Laserdisc audio due to its lossless compression. Thats what makes it so special. I still find use for it.

I agree. The sound is fantastic!

Oh, and welcome to the group!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2021, 15:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is no lossless compression associated with LD. There is uncompressed sound (PCM) and very compressed (AC-3) and slightly less compressed (DTS).

Now *dynamically* yes, LD is often less dynamically compressed than other formats, especially the 5.1 stuff. There is no loss/lossless associated with dynamic compression though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]