It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: I don't want to watch Kong vs Godzilla*
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 20:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

18m+ views on AlphabetTube in 24hrs. The trailer looks like a bloody PS5 game.

WHERE IS MAN IN SUIT??

WHERE IS JET JAGUAR??????

WHERE IS AIRFIX TANKS AND PAPIER MACHÉ MODELS OF CITIES?

WHERE IS GREENSCREENED CITIZENS FLEEING STUFF?

WHERE IS THE FAMOUS GOJIRA MUSIC?

The actual state of the Gojira design in this film is absolute bumgrapes too. He looks worse than Broderick Gojira!

This bloody film looks an absolute travesty.

WHY CAN'T ANYONE MAKE A GOJIRA FILM PROPERLY ANY MORE?

I WANT MAN IN SUIT. :evil:

</rant>

* I'll still watch it anyway. :shh:

Post subject: Re: I don't want to watch Kong vs Godzilla*
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 21:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Any Godzilla vs King Kong thing after the 80s upgrades is nonsense. Even during The Goofy Period this was one of the silliest G movies. Aliens, radiation, Space Titanium, sure, at least a bad explanation is an explanation. How does a mammal who has NOT been exposed to a bikini bomb or an oxygen destroyer grow to 300 feet tall and take an atomic breath to the chest with nothing but singed hair? It’s just a monkey! In the 1933 movie he’s like 25 feet tall, if that. And that will scare the %#%* out of New Yorkers but he’s not going to be able to rip off Ghidra’s head! *

I honestly lost interest in even Japanese Godzilla movies when the bad CG started to replace the excellent models but they still got the point. There isn’t a single attractive thing to a movie like this new one though. I’m glad the Americans are making it.

*RIP MF DOOM aka King Geedorah.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 21:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Every time someone (rightfully) complains about U.S. Godzilla, it reminds me that I really need to watch Shin Godzilla again. Soooooooo good. Hope Anno makes another one now that he's (supposedly) done dragging Evangelion's corpse around.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 21:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I WANT MAN IN SUIT.

That said, I would LOVE to see a new Jet Jaguar film. Godzilla vs Megalon is my favourite.

NB:. ..and absolutely, Hollywood needs to leave Gojira alone. They don't have a clue. All drama and suspense and no end product and just vomiting crap CG from every pore.

Seriously that new trailer looked more like a video game than a film. Bloody appalling effort all round.

Not just that but I find it an insult to the legacy of the original film (not the dire US edit and recast). The film had something to say. A big f**k YOU to atomic warfare and that Japan will get through it all. Not to venture down a political trail at all here, suffice to say Japan was not squeaky clean during the war either. But I'm talking about the message underlying the film here, and it's impact on a generation.

The more rubbish the industry spews out, the more the legacy of that film crumbles away.

Last edited by teddanson on 25 Jan 2021, 21:41, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 21:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

My favorites are the entire heisei period and of course 1954.

Absolute favorite period for me is the whole Mechagodzilla 2, Mecha Ghidra, time traveling aliens stuff. Conceptually there are some really cool/smart things is these inarguable dumb movies and that’s what I like. I like that Vs Destroyer cost less to make than the ad campaign for the new movie but in the end probably had more interesting things to say. Big budgets just screw everything up. Nowadays not only do you have to appease the American public but moreso the Chinese government.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 22:02 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

To this day I still own and will never forget the time my father took me to Tower Video around 1990 and I saw Godzilla vs Megalon on Japanese LD.
It cost a shitton, I think they were doing actual conversions or something but it was still over 70 bucks.
I swear that I remember seeing the film as an even younger child, when we got it home I almost shitt myself when it was the film that I loved
so much that if it were a record it would have had skips in it.

I've been trying to upgrade to the DVD but its always selling for so much, but since I have the LD I may toss it in and enjoy later today.
All pre 1990 godzilla films are the massiveshitz, Biolante was good, King Ghidora was great but then Mothra was alright then I didn't care for the rest.

When they did that mechagodzilla in the 2003 time period with CGI I was done.
OG G or nothing for me. 85 is the latest film I will own when it comes to Gojira.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 23:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I love those new Mothra movies...and by new I mean the 90s ones. So dreamy and eternal and mysterious at times. The new Peanut is fine.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2021, 01:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I will weigh in on this one !

Loved Pacific Rim Kaiju / Jagger par excellence ! Thank you Guillermo del Toro ! ! ! (and everyone involved in part two though not as good imo).
Nice revival of the Kaiju theme contemporary style .... Original too !

Did not enjoy the new wave of Kaiju re: Godzilla releases and the soon to be released Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Loved the 1998 Jean Reno and Mathew Broderick installment of GODZILLA. Madison Square Garden is never thought of the same way to me !

Not too thrilled with the remake of Godzilla Kaiju in the early to mid 1990's in all their pomp and glory.

Love everything Toho and the original Gamera Kaiju twist on things during that time period.
I am a critic, this post reflects my personal taste and does not mean that the new (1990's) materials stink or anything.
The REALLY NEW STUFF does kinda stink in my opinion. My son is disappointed in my not taking to the new material. Did think Juliette Binoche was quite cute in the CBR gear !

Just a old fashioned lover of the original Raymond Burr B & W original and the spinoffs that ensued.
Especially liked the Godzilla vs Megalon however every installment pales against Godzilla vs the Sea Monster ! (CRINGEs abound !)

P. S - Johnny Socko and his flying ROBO and Ultraman are right there in my heart as well.

Feeling a tad old now....

Cheers mates

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]