It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:51

Page 2 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: anybody have issues with warped discs
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 05:11 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I had just received my "Big Girls Don't Cry... They Get Even" laserdisc in the mail today, and upon watching it, I had discovered that the disc was warped. The warping seems to show at the 41 minute mark on side 1, and 43 minutes in, the digital audio starts to pop and click. But the analog stereo track seems to be intact. The same thing on side 2 in the last 20 minutes also, but not as bad. The disc hasn't locked, which I'm thankful for at least. Overall, the disc is still watchable, but the warped picture can be very distracting.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 09:11 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I got three warped discs in the mail las month. I’ve been meaning to do the glass sandwich thing.
I’m thinking of going to IKEA and getting a pair of glass shelves. I saw a pair for $9.99 made for kitchen cabinets.
CLD 950

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 00:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

On going through my collection i've found that Disc 1 of Midnight Cowboy (a Criterion CAV version) has a problem which I believe to be warping. Side A plays fine but Side B has severe video and audio problems seemingly throughout— but this is regardless of which way around I insert the disc, ie side 1 plays fine but not side 2 if I insert the disc normally, and side 2 plays fine but not side 1 if I insert it upside down.

The exact nature of the problem is that the bottom fifth-to-half of the picture is distorted and wobbly, with the colours also being wrong. The digital audio also sounds bad; dropping out frequently. There are no actual picture drop-outs however. The player also locks and skips a lot, and has trouble seeking. Finally, if I switch to side B from side A sometimes the player will give up completely and quite abruptly, which makes me wonder if the disc was actually hitting something and this was being detected somehow. The disc didn't physically look very warped at all but I thought this is likely the problem, so I've currently got it squashed, in its inner sleeve, between a table and a metal board with loads of books piled on top. I'm going to hope this suffices to undo the warping, even though it's not very warm at the moment — maybe I'll try and move the whole lot to near a radiator if this doesn't work?

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2020, 06:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Never have dealt with a any kind of warped discs the entire history since beginning this hobby circa 1996.....

Hope never to come across one .....

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 00:22 
Serious fan
Serious fan

After having another look at the disc this doesn't actually seem to be warping at all. I've noticed now that the top and bottom halves have actually "slipped" in relation to each other!!! That is, there's a "ridge" of maybe half a millimetre between one and the other on the inner hole. So this explains why my player can play "side A" perfectly fine (it must be aligning itself with the bottom disc and not the top one), and also why the player has such difficulty tracking "side B"!

Any ideas of how to fix this or should I write off this disc?

My idea: Heat the disc, and apply outward pressure (using some sort of inverse-clamp, which I assume must exist?) on the inner hole where the misalignment is worst. I won't try it until I hear back from others on this forum of course!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 00:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

muzer wrote:
After having another look at the disc this doesn't actually seem to be warping at all. I've noticed now that the top and bottom halves have actually "slipped" in relation to each other!!! That is, there's a "ridge" of maybe half a millimetre between one and the other on the inner hole. So this explains why my player can play "side A" perfectly fine (it must be aligning itself with the bottom disc and not the top one), and also why the player has such difficulty tracking "side B"!

Any ideas of how to fix this or should I write off this disc?

My idea: Heat the disc, and apply outward pressure (using some sort of inverse-clamp, which I assume must exist?) on the inner hole where the misalignment is worst. I won't try it until I hear back from others on this forum of course!

That sounds like it would mess it up more, but since the title isn't rare or that expensive you could try.

But before you try anything can you post a picture, is the inner ring hole off???

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 01:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Will do. I definitely wasn't going to try anything without advice! It's the Criterion version though it's still listed for not too much money on LDDB; I can always buy another. It's one of the 3M pressings with the super sticky glue so I imagine this is what made it more prone to this strange slippage than a normal disc would be. I'll post a photo — it's a subtle but unmistakeable misalignment of the two halves. It's of course tempting to just leave it as it's still playable right now, just not using both sides play.

EDIT: photos here: http://tim32.org/~muzer/mc-slip . It's much harder to see in the photos than it is in person.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2020, 02:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

From the pictures it looks like such a small amount that I wouldn't think its causing the issue.
Wonder if this may be an alignment or something else?? Or if it is actually alignment you could be adjusting your player to play this
one disc and botch it for all other discs.

In other words, if it is the disc I would just turn it into a clock, if its the player and only does this with this one disc I would still turn the disc into a clock.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 10:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

lizardkingjr wrote:
rein-o wrote:
wanted to hear what others have to say about them, if they have fixed them etc.

never had any before but i
just picked up 2 and wanted to hear others stories.

1 seems to have flattened out in my shelf and plays fine so far, going to give it some more time.
other gives issues at the end of the disc, last 5-10 minutes of each side.

From our own publius:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.vid ... WqGnO_YSQJ

TLK :cool:

I've also been having problems with what I assume are warped discs, thankfully only a small handful at this point (thread here). But reading the above Usenet thread, it would seem that my problems might just be a symptom of a misaligned laser?

Guess I'll need to try adjusting the pots one of these days (will be sure to mark the original positions) using a test disc and maybe a scope. Anyone have recommendations for what I should look for in a scope? Was considering getting one anyway in case I need one for retro gaming hardware or my CRTs.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 12:07 
True fan
True fan

A copy I bought of Species might be warped. 10 minutes or so of it had distorted audio and video feedback issues. I didn't bother sending the disc back to the seller because I had won it only for 2 bucks. Didn't even tell him or her about it. Also the end credits I believe have this issue too. It's the only disc I have that has this issue. Also, Species is only so so looking. I've have better video picture quality on other laserdiscs. I'd probably rate Species about 3.8/5. It's not ugly or anything but I thought it could have looked better. It's also one of the movies sold cheaper on eBay.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2020, 16:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jd213 wrote:

Guess I'll need to try adjusting the pots one of these days (will be sure to mark the original positions) using a test disc and maybe a scope. Anyone have recommendations for what I should look for in a scope? Was considering getting one anyway in case I need one for retro gaming hardware or my CRTs.

Just remember you are adjusting to play 1 or 2 junk discs and then could potentially destroy your player.
Good luck.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 02:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm not going to be adjusting it right away, only when it starts to become a serious problem.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 04:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jd213 wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for what I should look for in a scope?

It needs to be dual-trace. I think Kurtis has recommended a TDS 210 before. I have a newer Tektronix DSO, but if you have the space for an analog one it will save you money.

rein-o wrote:
Just remember you are adjusting to play 1 or 2 junk discs and then could potentially destroy your player.

Very much so.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 08:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks for the recommendation. Won't be doing any actual adjusting until it's much more than "1 or 2 junk discs" (actually 4 at this point) that my player can't play, but I appreciate the concern.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020, 16:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jd213 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Won't be doing any actual adjusting until it's much more than "1 or 2 junk discs" (actually 4 at this point) that my player can't play, but I appreciate the concern.

Hi jd213,

rather than adjusting what appears to be a perfectly good player would it not be better to try to flatten the discs if they are indeed warped?

There are a few threads here on how others have done this.

Had a few, 3 or 4-ish, very badly warped LDs years ago & using heat & pressure got them to play again, they had been poorly stored for many years before they fell into my hands. Don't overdo the heat though as some binding glue is quite soft on some LDs, the warped ones I had were a couple of PDO pressed discs & I cannot remember who pressed the other badly warped LDs.

Hope you get them sorted but they may just be poor discs & adjusting your player may not help at all.

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 04:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

je280 wrote:

Hi jd213,

rather than adjusting what appears to be a perfectly good player would it not be better to try to flatten the discs if they are indeed warped?

That was originally the plan, but as I read through the Usenet (Google Groups) thread linked earlier, some experts seem to think that problems with warped discs is just a sign that the laser is going out of alignment.

If it gets worse and my player stops playing discs, then I'll have little choice but to try adjusting the pots, as even Pioneer Japan has stopped servicing the X9.

If most discs keep working, then I obviously won't need to do any adjusting.

Haven't had too much luck in flattening out any warped discs though, guess I'll try leaving them between the two layers of glass +some dumbbells for a couple months instead of a couple weeks.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 12:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jd213 wrote:
je280 wrote:

Hi jd213,

That was originally the plan, but as I read through the Usenet (Google Groups) thread linked earlier, some experts seem to think that problems with warped discs is just a sign that the laser is going out of alignment.

If it gets worse and my player stops playing discs, then I'll have little choice but to try adjusting the pots, as even Pioneer Japan has stopped servicing the X9.

If most discs keep working, then I obviously won't need to do any adjusting.

Haven't had too much luck in flattening out any warped discs though, guess I'll try leaving them between the two layers of glass +some dumbbells for a couple months instead of a couple weeks.

I had got very badly warped discs flattened enough to play years ago but it did take time, had a couple between fairly thick glass sheets for around six months or so. They were lightly heated & the glass was also lightly heated before pressing the discs. The only reason for the heat thing was they were severely warped due to poor storage for many years before I got them, still got a one of them & it was playing well the last time I popped it into the player.

Good luck.

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 15:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Guys.

You can tell when a disc is warped. “Warped” does not mean magically defective in some mysterious way. It means the disc is BENT. You can tell by setting it on a totally flat surface and sliding feeler gauges around the edge or even paper.

“Some experts seem to think that problems with warped discs is just a sign that the laser is going out of alignment.” - this sentence makes no sense. Your discs are either wrapped or they aren’t. You can align your player or you can throw it in the sea, the discs are still warped or not warped. They aren’t going to warp and then unwarp for you. Your player isn’t changing its alignment every day to play this disc or not. Also, there is no way to calibrate for warped discs. If you have an alignment problem there are ways to diagnosing that. If your player has damaged parts you also can’t fix that with alignment. The most obvious issue is crosstalk on CLV discs. If you don’t have crosstalk and the movie gets really bad just in sections then alignment is not the issue. If a disc is actually warped it may play differently every time it is inserted based on how it ends up sitting in the player. If you have crosstalk almost everywhere and bad tracking in other areas then *maybe* you need an alignment but doing one without a scope and test disc requires a very good understanding of the player. If you *do* have the scope and the test disc then there is no guess work. You can verify the alignment is good.

That method with a weight looks like it was designed to ruin LDs. All 25lbs is pressing right on the center of the disc with no protective layer at all. The force needs to be totally even so you need a couple 12x12 boards and an old sleeve to put in in. Then you can put 2500 pounds on it if you want.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 16:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I feel like this has to be parody given the 25 pound weights.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020, 21:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The possibility that his account is just trolling remains strong but he hasn’t given us his punch line yet so we can’t be sure. He seems like a goal tender waiting for certain kinds of commentary, hands held wide apart knowing it can only come from so many angles...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 2 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next