It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: LD Player Shipping Advice
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 01:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Normally I wouldn't even consider this, but a buddy of mine is looking for a player and I have 4. Just looking for advice from people that have successfully shipped LD players. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: LD Player Shipping Advice
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 02:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Don't ship any of the CLD's with M-Holders. Remove Elite side panels. Ensure unit is fully powered off before pulling the plug. Double box if you can.

When I bought my CLD-99 from Duncan forever ago he shipped it double boxed with peanuts between the outer and inner box. Side panels were wrapped in felt and cellophaned together. Other than that I have only had units I have bought for parts or repair shipped to me.

Biggest issue with players in transit is plastic breaking internally and/or the units getting rattled or knocked out of alignment. The latter was problematic even in the 90s when Pioneer techs shipped units.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 02:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I'm trying to convince him to get something locally.

Good advice all around. I am a complete noob when it comes to internals. Is there a list of players that have an m holder?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 03:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

gypsy wrote:
Is there a list of players that have an m holder?

I don't think so, but we should make one!

To name a few:
CLD-D406
CLD-D504
CLD-D505
CLD-D515
CLD-D604
CLD-D605
CLD-D606
CLD-D925
CLD-S104
CLD-S105
CLD-S304

LA-2300

All DVLs (these are the black VNL1779 and are rarely problematic)

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 06:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think most single side player made before 1995 (which is about when the fragile M-Holders were introduced) would be a safer risk for shipping but I would still emphasize only if the player is well packed as cplusplus says.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 14:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just think on how you get your TVs or other modern electronics now, get some foam and build it out on the sides.

I just sent a keyboard and that's how I did it, all got there fine, but as for LD players with internals you are taking a risk on some models.

Make sure everything is powered down fully before you pack, make sure everything is seated as it should be, sometimes I turn my players off too soon and
all internals won't be at their locked and rested position and may cause damage in shipping from jolting.

Also I like to put a large label on the outside, even a printed 8x11 paper saying VERY HEAVY, even if its not they will think twice or be prepared before picking up
and I think psychologically they treat it better.

EDIT: forgot to mention. Also get some shrink wrap, either dollar store or wallyworld or even your regular grocery store,
its a great thing to wrap stuff up when shipping to keep it tight or stuff in place like that remote.

Last edited by rein-o on 20 Mar 2021, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 23:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've posted before about the absolutely mint S2 I bought that was wrecked in shipping because the remote was left loose in the box, where it was smashed to a pulp and in the process put a huge dent in the thick metal protrusion at the back of the player. Back it went, and I only paid $500 so it's sad to see how much they are now.

Lesson is, leave no loose accessories to rattle around and isolate the player so nothing can transmit forces to it.

Was thinking about one of the X1's that are showing up from Asia on eBay and are still less than S2 pricing even shipping from that far - I like that they retain the "Reference Laservision Player" legend on the front panel, like the predecessor S1 and that's cooler than just saying "Elite".

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 00:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I only got my R7G recently, sent via sea mail. Double boxed, best packing job I've ever seen. After 3 months at sea it arrived safely and, fingers crossed, works great right now.

When I got my D925 serviced last year I double boxed it (mine is mint with retail box) and the technician returned it double boxed with extra reinforcement. Arrived safe and sound.

Double boxing and taking time and care to pack goods pays dividends. I can't understand why people fiddle and fart about with lazy packing of goods. It's just going to be sent straight back for a claim. Why give yourself the hassle?

It's like taking a car to a garage for repairs. The industry could have a decent image if the mechanics just did a good job. What's the point of lying and scheming? It's like they want to earn a bad rep like a badge of honour.

Why go out of your way to be a c**t? I find the whole thing truly baffling.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 01:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Do not use peanuts in the box containing the player as they crush down as the shippers throw around the box. Then pieces can get inside the player and the player can just jiggle around as the crushed peanuts no longer secure the player. Use bubble wrap around the players to make it secure in the box. Shipping companies may not cover claims unless bubble wrap is used. Peanuts between the inner and outer box is ok. Using only hard foam panels is not good as it does not do as good shock absorbing as bubble wrap.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 01:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

krbahr wrote:
Using only hard foam panels is not good as it does not do as good shock absorbing as bubble wrap.

Yeah I have bought a few players that were shipped to me in the original box with no extra cushioning. All of them had some sort of internal plastic breakage, although when buying parts or repair units it is hard to tell what was broken in shipping.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 02:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Great advice. Thanks.

Definitely double boxing, my top priority is getting this to my friend safely.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 05:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Would it be a good idea to open up the player and put some kind of packing material inside, or otherwise make sure the internals a protected somehow?

Might have to move my players someday myself (and possibly from Japan to the US). If I do, I'm going to look into shipping on a pallet with my CRT monitors, but it's still going to be a nerve-wracking experience.

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 06:36 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Back in the golden age of Pioneer laserdisc players, Nic Santini was shipping new HLD-X9 players from Japan. That man could pack. He used double wall cardboard boxes and filled the air gap with even more cardboard. The carrier was EMS+USPS.

I personally do not trust bubble wrap because the variety most shippers use is not the 1" kind. It's the thin kind (1/4"). Even if they wrap it multiple times to build up a layer over an inch, they do not remember to reinforce the edges of the box. Result: crushed corners. Over the past two months, this happened with a DVL-700 packed by the UPS Store, and a DVL-H9 sent from Japan (Ebay seller) using FedEx. UPS was so asinine that they packed the player upside down.

Imagine you are shipping the last laserdisc player on earth. What would you use? I would use 4" of closed cell foam or shock absorbing material that high end electronic equipment makers employ. You normally see this type of material in boxes carrying Fractal Audio processors, or a Spectral Electronics hifi preamp. Put "This End Up" stickers on top of the box. Fragile stickers just invite the shipping company to manhandle the box. No shipper actually cares about your goods. They just want to move it through the system as fast as they can.

PostPosted: 31 May 2021, 10:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

arcturus wrote:
Imagine you are shipping the last laserdisc player on earth. What would you use?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field_(technology)

:thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]