It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:03

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CLD-M90 spins LD & CD very slowly and then stops. Burn smell
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 16:32 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I got a used CLD-M90. It needed a new load belt. It loads LD's and CD's and everything was looking good, then I pressed PLAY for the first time. It started to spin slowly for about 20 seconds as it started giving off a sour burning odor. Sort of a fishy (literally) odor. The disc stopped spinning and the display read STOP. I tried again and the same result. Just a slow spin and then stop. I tried a CD. It loads the CD's fine, but barely spins for a few seconds and then stops. I can't tell if the smell is the motor or the power supply. All the fuses look fine as do all the other components on the power supply. Nothing looks burned and no bulging caps, etc. Any suggestions what my next step should be? I have the service manual. Also, I noticed that the motor didn't "brake" when the disc finally stopped. It just coasted to a stop. I have CLD-M403 that I can use for parts (motor) if necessary. It works but has a noisy picture. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: CLD-M90 spins LD & CD very slowly and then stops. Burn s
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 17:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Can you compare if the spindle motor on the M90 seems stiffer than the one in the M403 by spinning it with your fingers?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 18:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ldfan wrote:
Can you compare if the spindle motor on the M90 seems stiffer than the one in the M403 by spinning it with your fingers?

Ok. I think I "fixed" it. I disconnected the M90's motor from the player's PS and attached it to a separate 12v power supply. It spun slowly at first and then eventually sped up. I used a long thin metal rod with some oil on the tip it to put a few drops of oil at the motor shaft. I could smell that foul odor for a bit and then the motor started spinning quickly. I reattached it to the player's power supply and the disc played. Going to let it play for a few hours and see what happens.

BTW... as I had the unit apart, I found this tiny spring inside. Those are millimeters on that ruler. Any ideas where it goes?

Attachments:
spring1.jpg
spring1.jpg [ 40.92 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]
spring2.jpg
spring2.jpg [ 41.28 KiB | Viewed 2160 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 19:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jimbanville1 wrote:
Sort of a fishy (literally) odor.

The PAC-S10 I'm recapping right now literally smells like a seafood restaurant dumpster when the leaked electrolytic is heated up.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 20:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jimbanville1 wrote:
ldfan wrote:

Ok. I think I "fixed" it. I disconnected the M90's motor from the player's PS and attached it to a separate 12v power supply. It spun slowly at first and then eventually sped up. I used a long thin metal rod with some oil on the tip it to put a few drops of oil at the motor shaft. I could smell that foul odor for a bit and then the motor started spinning quickly. I reattached it to the player's power supply and the disc played. Going to let it play for a few hours and see what happens.

BTW... as I had the unit apart, I found this tiny spring inside. Those are millimeters on that ruler. Any ideas where it goes?

That’s very resourceful of you. I’m impressed. Most of our newer members just know how to complain about stuff broken in shipping.

Presumably your lab power supply had a higher current capacity than the one in the LD player. Were you able to see the current draw?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 22:10 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jimbanville1 wrote:

Not sure. I can look inside my M90 and see if I can locate a spring like that. Either way, I will reply back w/ some answer.

And like Zeta said, good job troubleshooting the motor issue. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 22:52 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

ldfan wrote:
jimbanville1 wrote:

Not sure. I can look inside my M90 and see if I can locate a spring like that. Either way, I will reply back w/ some answer.

And like Zeta said, good job troubleshooting the motor issue. :thumbup:

Thanks, but it's not "fixed" yet. I tired stopping and starting it a few times and about half the time it will play and the other half it will spin for about 10-20 seconds and then coast to a stop and show STOP on the display.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 22:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

cplusplus wrote:
jimbanville1 wrote:
Sort of a fishy (literally) odor.

The PAC-S10 I'm recapping right now literally smells like a seafood restaurant dumpster when the leaked electrolytic is heated up.

I'm 99% sure its the motor that smells so bad. It's really disgusting.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 03:33 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
jimbanville1 wrote:
ldfan wrote:

That’s very resourceful of you. I’m impressed. Most of our newer members just know how to complain about stuff broken in shipping.

Presumably your lab power supply had a higher current capacity than the one in the LD player. Were you able to see the current draw?

So I gently opened the back of the motor. Lots of corrosion. I think those 3 capacitors you can barely see, leaked. I tried taking off the hub but its on there very sung. Might have to make some kind of puller. I want to replace those caps and see if I can refurnish this thing. Nothing to loose. Lol

Attachments:
motor3.jpg
motor3.jpg [ 30.97 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]
motor1.jpg
motor1.jpg [ 39.12 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]
motor2.jpg
motor2.jpg [ 72.09 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]
motor4.jpg
motor4.jpg [ 42.99 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 05:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I was able to get the spindle off without damaging it. I de-soldered the caps. The measure close to their rating, but for some reason my ESR meter doesn't show anything but their capacitance. No ESR measurement at all. I tested several new caps I have around the same rating as these and they do show ESR readouts. Weird.

Attachments:
motor5.jpg
motor5.jpg [ 34.37 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
motor7.jpg
motor7.jpg [ 28.99 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
motor8.jpg
motor8.jpg [ 42.34 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 16:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wow, you are in uncharted territory.
People talk about rebuilding the spindle motor but haven't yet.
Keep up the work, I doubt it will work after all the work you do but if you succeed then others can learn from it,

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 16:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
Keep up the work, I doubt it will work after all the work you do but if you succeed then others can learn from it,

I've rebuilt small electric motors. Some were successful. Some not. Any particular reason this shouldn't be successful? This motor's housing has a lip/ridge where the back plate rests. The unsuccessful rebuilds I've done in the past didn't have this. They relied on friction and having the back plate on in just the right spot. The back plate on this was not on very tight. Once I bent back the tiny nicks in the housing that held it on, I put a long thin sacrificial screwdriver into the large hole on the front of the housing and gave the back plate a few light taps on its inner side. Back popped off easily. I've ordered some replacement caps. Should be here in a few days. I was having trouble getting the hub off of the shaft. I really didn't want to damage the fragile plastic hub. Eventually I put the motor on the floor, I placed the inside edges of my feet on the sides of the housing and used fingertips from both hands to pull up on the hub as evenly as possible. It popped off without any issues.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 17:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is excellent. Great job and thanks for all the photos. Looking forward to seeing this hopefully resurrected.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 17:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice work getting the motor opened up. I too am looking forward to seeing your progress as this would definitely be useful information for the day I need to do it for my players. :thumbup:

Last edited by ldfan on 14 Apr 2021, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 18:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jimbanville1 wrote:

I've rebuilt small electric motors. Some were successful. Some not. Any particular reason this shouldn't be successful? This motor's housing has a lip/ridge where the back plate rests.

Honestly I have no idea, I've never done this to these types of motors and only know what I've read in the past or when I talked
with some techs many, many years ago.

Also when the tech were doing this they had access to actual parts and just dropped another one in and forgot about the old one.
We don't have those extra parts and only can salvage them from other players with bad issues hopefully not motor issues but other stuff.

I too can't see why it wouldn't work and saw you posted in the other topic and that's the furthest I've ever seen anybody doing this.

But keep us posted. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2021, 23:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

CORRECTION... I misread my tester. These old 33uf caps are only measuring around 31pf! And since they're so low, this meter (MK-168) won't display an ESR.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 04:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was looking at a YAJ auction not too long ago where the description said something like "spindle life extension measures taken". In the photos, it showed the spindle disassembled. Is there some preventative (and very involved) maintenance we could be doing inside of these?

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 12:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my "first" LD player was a CLD-1080 that wouldn't spin a disc.

after about 10-odd secs. of power-up, the lens barrel in the pickup would begin audibly and visibly vibrating,
and a definite, fishy foul odor began to emanate from somewhere in the chassis.

this was WAY back, -must have been around 2000/2001- so i didn't know the first thing about what might have been going on,
let alone how to possibly even begin to approach the problem...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 13:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

tasuke wrote:
my "first" LD player was a CLD-1080 that wouldn't spin a disc.

after about 10-odd secs. of power-up, the lens barrel in the pickup would begin audibly and visibly vibrating,
and a definite, fishy foul odor began to emanate from somewhere in the chassis.

this was WAY back, -must have been around 2000/2001- so i didn't know the first thing about what might have been going on,
let alone how to possibly even begin to approach the problem...

My guess is that as the motor is spinning, the stench from the old leaking caps inside the motor gets stirred up and blown out the openings in the motor housing. The spinning of the laserdisc contributes to blow the smell out of the machine.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2021, 13:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:

Usually the issue with spindles is the bearing. I guess we have to be on the lookout for this too.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next