It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Learning the Sony HIL-C1
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2021, 02:18 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

So I recently imported a Sony HIL-C1 from Japan that came with the original remote and manual, and threw in a disc. Unsurprisingly, after a few seconds, it said STOP on the front panel.

Naturally, I thought that the laser was dead and that I would have to buy a new one. However, out of curiosity, I put the player in test mode to see if all of the other parts of the player were working okay.

Shockingly, the laser works! I'm guessing that the laser needs to be calibrated since the player goes to STOP when I put a disc in, but this was nonetheless a pleasant surprise.

Any repair or calibration advice would definitely be appreciated. I'm really curious as to what's going on, since I don't believe the laser has ever been touched. However, one thing I did notice is that no matter what button I pressed in test mode, the spindle didn't move (whether there was a disc in or not), so I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

Also, I have seen information on test mode for the Sony HIL-C2EX on this forum, but I haven't seen any posts about test mode for the HIL-C1, so I'll provide what I've learned here, if anyone else wants to test their HIL-C1.

Unlike the HIL-C2EX, which requires pressing a button combination on the remote when turning on the player, there is actually a physical switch on the motherboard to switch to test mode, specifically the SA-701 board (the giant one on the top you first see when you open the player). The switch is titled S101, and I've provided a picture of what the switch looks like here:

And here is where the switch is relative to the rest of the motherboard. This is a diagram from the official service manual.

I'll also provide what happened with the buttons that I pressed on the remote here.

1 - Laser turns on, moves to the top

2 - Laser turns off, moves to the bottom

3 - Laser moves to the middle (still off)

5 - Laser turns on, does not move (When it turns off by pressing 2, it interestingly doesn’t move up or down)

アナログ (Analog) - Manually moves the laser up

声音 モニター (Voice Monitor) - Manually moves the laser down

マルチスピード (Multi-Speed)

< - Moves the laser to the very top

> - Moves the laser to the very bottom

静止/コマ送 (Still/ Frame Forward)

||> - Opens the tray
<|| - Closes the tray

Rewind - Moves laser assembly forward

Fast forward - Moves laser assembly forward

Using the power button to turn it off during test mode doesn't actually work; you have to switch it back to normal mode and unplug and re-plug the player. That is also what is said in the official service manual.

For any other HIL-C1 owners, if there are any buttons I missed that resulted in something happening, feel free to add on.

Post subject: Re: Learning the Sony HIL-C1
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 18:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Check all surface mounted capacitors for leaking on the small boards in the pickup assembly.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2021, 23:23 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

cplusplus wrote:
Check all surface mounted capacitors for leaking on the small boards in the pickup assembly.

Thank you for the reply. As it turns out, that was the right thing to do, so I appreciate you reminding me to do that.

It seems the capacitor has come off. I did not hear any rattling while disassembling the player, so I'm not sure if someone else unsuccessfully tried to replace it in the past. However, there was also a missing resistor right below that, but fortunately I found that nearby, and have set it aside.

Either way, it is now clear that these capacitors need to be replaced. If there is anyone here that knows the capacitance and voltage of this missing capacitor, I would greatly appreciate it. I doubt that this is the only problem with the player, but at the very least, now I know about this problem.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2021, 21:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Should be 10v 16uf. Need to pull pickup and pull the boards to check all caps. My notes show 11 capacitors across 3 boards.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2021, 22:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

cplusplus wrote:
Should be 10v 16uf. Need to pull pickup and pull the boards to check all caps. My notes show 11 capacitors across 3 boards.

I appreciate it. I took the pickup out, and I think I’ll be replacing all 11 of the capacitors. Upon disassembly, it turned out there was another missing capacitor, located at C14 on the board labeled MUSE SKS-1. Did you happen to have the specs for that one? Thanks.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021, 04:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Are we sure that a cap should go there? That spot kinda looks like it was never populated in the first place, I've seen stuff like 90's video game consoles that had empty spots like that before

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 05:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jd213 wrote:
Are we sure that a cap should go there?

Yes- see my photo here: https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=123097#p123097

Cap list I wrote down a while ago (double check it):
SKS-1:
C1, C2, C14, C15: 10uf 16v
C13 4.7uf 16v

SKS-2M:
C5, C6: 22uf 6v

AP1-3:
C1, C2, C3: 10uf 16v
C4: 47uf 16v

Also note that I told you wrong cap value for the missing one in photo. It is 10uf 16v.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2021, 07:06 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ah, OK. Didn't know that a cap could go missing but leave such clean-looking pads, I guess there's a ton of board problems I haven't seen yet.

Have gotten pretty good at replacing capacitors, but taking out the boards in an LD player does not look like fun...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2021, 18:09 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

cplusplus wrote:

Also note that I told you wrong cap value for the missing one in photo. It is 10uf 16v.

Thank you for clearing that up, as well as providing the information on the other capacitors. Looks like I’ll be ordering them soon.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]